[Cagdu] FW: story on Bio Spot / K9 Advantix Almost killing dogs

tina thomas tinadt at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 28 20:58:07 PST 2007

Subject: story on Bio Spot / K9 Advantix Almost killing dogs

I found the story below wile looking for info on K9 Advantix I use
Frontline now but am hearing alot about how it has becoming less
usefull in states like NC. the nabors are telling me that that there
dogs and cats where coverd in flease even after using it and so I
was looking for somthing better .

It talks about The main active ingredient in Bio Spot Permethrin
witch is used in more than 18 similar products, including Bayer K9
Advantix, Defend EXspot, and Hartz Control OneSpot). It kills
insects by paralyzing their nervous system (that is also how nerve
gas works). However, it cannot distinguish between an insect's
nervous system, a dog's nervous system,

HAS any one hear of this ?

Farnam's Bio Spot Flea & Tick Almost Killed Our Dog."
Six months ago, my family adopted

a one and a half year old Dalmatian,

named Hamish. He had been in a

high kill shelter in Connecticut, and

was rescued just one day before he

was scheduled to be destroyed.

To protect him from fleas and ticks,

we chose Frontline - a liquid that is

applied to the dog's back. It gave

us peace of mind knowing that he

had this protection, but it had to be

purchased from a veterinarian and

was quite expensive.

One day while shopping, I came

across an over-the-counter product,

called Bio Spot Flea & Tick Control

(by Farnam Pet Products). It looked

similar to the Frontline product, but it was much cheaper, so I
decided to try it. The Bio Spot seemed to work just as well as
Frontline, so I used it again six weeks later.

An hour after applying the Bio Spot, I found Hamish thrashing about
on the ground. His body was completely stiff. His head was raised
in the air, and his jaws were opened wide. A thick foamy saliva was
spewing from his mouth. Horrified, I tried to determine if something
was stuck in his throat. His windpipe was clear, but he was not
breathing. His eyes began to roll back in his head. He was dying
and I did not know what to do to save him! We made a desperate call
to our veterinarian.

IF YOU SUSPECT AN ADVERSE REACTION TO A FLEA CONTROL
PRODUCT...

1. BATHE YOUR PET WITH MILD SOAP, SUCH A DAWN DISH DETERGENT, AND
RINSE

WITH LARGE AMOUNTS OF WATER. DO NOT USE FLEA AND TICK SHAMPOO

BECAUSE IT CONTAINS PESTICIDE.

2. IF SIGNS CONTINUE (LETHARGY, LOSS OF APPETITE, DROOLING,
INCOORDINATION,

LABORED BREATHING, INCREASED EXCITABILITY, ELEVATED BODY
TEMPERATURE,

VOMITING, DIARRHEA, OR SEIZURES), CONSULT A VETERINARIAN
IMMEDIATELY.

3. REPORT IT TO THE MANUFACTURER OF THE PRODUCT AND THE U.S. EPA.

After a few minutes, Hamish slowly began to recover. We had just
witnessed something we had never seen before - a grand mal (severe)
seizure. Our veterinarian said that a blood test might help to find
the cause, and mentioned the possibility of epilepsy. By the
afternoon, Hamish looked much better, but that night he endured three
more grand mal seizures.

Why would a healthy dog have four grand mal seizures within twenty
hours? I searched the Internet for information on epilepsy, and read
that if seizures begin to occur frequently, the animal may have to be
euthanized! We would not know the results of the blood test for a
week, but we had a feeling it was

not epilepsy, and wondered if the seizures were caused by the Bio
Spot.

It seemed unlikely that Bio Spot could have caused the seizures
because we had used it (same batch) just six weeks earlier with no
adverse effects. Also, the packaging did not list seizures as a
possible adverse reaction (it listed only lethargy, itchiness,
redness, rash, hair discoloration, or hair loss).

Just in case the seizures were caused by the Bio Spot, we thoroughly
washed Hamish to remove as much of it as possible, and took him to
our veterinarian for a physical exam and blood test. The exam showed
that everything was normal, and the blood test revealed no internal
problems. Our veterinarian

could not rule out Bio Spot as the cause of the seizures.

Hamish has not had any seizures since the Bio Spot was thoroughly
washed off three weeks ago, and appears to be in good health.
However, we worry about irrepairable damage that may have been done
to his neurological system, and wonder if short-term exposure to the
chemicals in BioSpot will cause any long-term health problems.

CONSUMER ALERT
July 14, 2002
How Bio Spot Works
According to Farnam's website, the ingredients in Bio Spot "move
around your dog's coat by several processes including diffusion and
capillary action, and transfer from hair to hair as the pet moves."
That may lead you to believe that it remains on your dog's coat,
therefore it's safe for your dog. The truth is these harmful
chemicals are absorbed through the skin and enter the bloodstream.
That is also how transdermal patches work - they use the skin as a
way to enter the body.

The main active ingredient in Bio Spot is a pesticide known as
Permethrin (it is used in more than 18 similar products, including
Bayer K9 Advantix, Defend EXspot, and Hartz Control OneSpot). It
kills insects by paralyzing their nervous system (that is also how
nerve gas works). However, it cannot distinguish between an insect's
nervous system, a dog's nervous system, or a human's nervous system.
That is why it is important to wash your hands thoroughly with soap
and water after handling.
BY JAMES TERBUSH
James TerBush is a designer of educational games, and lives in
Pennsylvania.
R Serious Risk to Health
While never claiming their Bio Spot product is safe for dogs, the
Farnam website states, "Nearly all dogs tolerate Bio Spot well."
However, that does not mean it is safe for ANY dog. The
word "tolerate" means

to bear, endure, or suffer. According to the Natural Resources
Defense Council:

"Many and perhaps most Americans believe that commercially available
pesticides, such as those found in pet products, are tightly
regulated by the government. In fact, they are not. Not until the
passage of a 1996 law focused on pesticides in food did the
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) begin examining the risks from
pesticides in pet products in earnest. To this day, the EPA allows
the manufacture and sale of pet products containing hazardous
insecticides with little or no demonstration that a child's exposure
to these ingredients would be safe. Just because these products are
on store shelves does

not mean they have been tested or can be presumed safe."

"Of course, as bad as these products may be for pet owners and
caregivers, they often are worse for

the pets themselves. Based on the very limited data available, it
appears that hundreds and probably thousands of pets have been
injured or killed through exposure to pet products containing
pesticides.

As with small children, pets cannot report when they're being
poisoned at low doses."

__._,_.___
Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G-Dogs/message/30874;_ylc=X3oDMTM2Y2thMzBoBF9
TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM5NzU0MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NTA1MjQ3BG1zZ0lkAzMwODc0BHN
lYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE5ODYyMTU5NQR0cGNJZAMzMDg3NA--> in this topic
(1)
NzE0BGdycElkAzM5NzU0MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NTA1MjQ3BG1zZ0lkAzMwODc0BHNlYwNmdHIE
c2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE5ODYyMTU5NQ--?act=reply&messageNum=30874> Reply (via
web post) | Start
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G-Dogs/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcnIwaDhuBF9TAzk3MzU5
NzE0BGdycElkAzM5NzU0MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NTA1MjQ3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3Rp
bWUDMTE5ODYyMTU5NQ--> a new topic
Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G-Dogs/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZHNvdHRnBF9TAzk3
MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM5NzU0MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NTA1MjQ3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21zZ3ME
c3RpbWUDMTE5ODYyMTU5NQ-->  | Calendar
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G-Dogs/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMTJkNGY3BF9TAzk3
MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM5NzU0MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NTA1MjQ3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2NhbARz
dGltZQMxMTk4NjIxNTk1>
MARKETPLACE
  _____

Earn
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12m13o6s7/M=571476.11980635.12415409.11509771/D
=groups/S=1707505247:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1198628796/A=5086951/R=0/SIG=12k1dq4mv
/*http://college-finder.net/index.cfm?key=yahoo_colfngrouptxt_11980635&c=CA1
52932587> your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an AS,
BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

zU0MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NTA1MjQ3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMTk4NjIxNTk1>
Yahoo! Groups
Change
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G-Dogs/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmaDZrZjg0BF9TAzk3MzU5
NzE0BGdycElkAzM5NzU0MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NTA1MjQ3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0
aW1lAzExOTg2MjE1OTU-> settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch
<mailto:G-Dogs-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest>
delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
<mailto:G-Dogs-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format:
Traditional> format to Traditional
Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G-Dogs;_ylc=X3oDMTJkcDBtbzRwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0B
GdycElkAzM5NzU0MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NTA1MjQ3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxM
Tk4NjIxNTk1> Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> of Use | Unsubscribe
Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G-Dogs;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOGkwOGdrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0B
GdycElkAzM5NzU0MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NTA1MjQ3BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDM
TE5ODYyMTU5NQ--> Your Group
Sell Online

Start
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12jmehjms/M=493064.12016255.12445662.8674578/D=
groups/S=1707505247:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1198628796/A=4025291/R=0/SIG=12bsapn24/*h
ttp://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44092/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/merchant>
selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Yahoo! Groups

Parenting
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12jvmlu21/M=493064.12016283.12445687.8674578/D=
groups/S=1707505247:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1198628796/A=5045819/R=0/SIG=11gsqr691/*h
ttp://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/parenting/> Zone

Share experiences

with other parents.

Best of Y! Groups

Check
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12jgvon1a/M=493064.12016306.12445698.8674578/D=
groups/S=1707505247:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1198628796/A=4763758/R=0/SIG=11ou7otip/*h
ttp://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/bestofyahoogroups/> out the best

of what Yahoo!

Groups has to offer.

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=3975405/grpspId=1707505247/msgId
=30874/stime=1198621595/nc1=4025291/nc2=5045819/nc3=4763758>